What We Believe
Grand Haven Christian School was founded upon and continues to operate from the Reformed perspective of the historic Christian faith, emphasizing God’s providential care of His people and sovereign control of His creation. Key beliefs as listed in our strategic plan are as follows:
- God is our Creator, Redeemer, and Lord; sovereign over all things.
- The Bible is the infallible, authoritative word of God.
- God entrusts these students to us. We are called to teach them to know and love God and to guide them to develop a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Education that develops a Christian world and life view is essential in helping our children know God and serve others in every aspect of life.
These beliefs provide the guiding values for our school:
- GHCS will provide a nurturing Christian environment for all students.
- GHCS will utilize best theory, knowledge, and practice in education in designing a God-centered curriculum that integrates faith and learning.
- GHCS will hire staff members who are committed Christians and who understand and articulate their faith from a Reformed Christian perspective. Philosophically, the school is seen as one leg of the tripod of home, school, and church that help support our children to grow and mature in their faith.
Grand Haven Christian School is one of the oldest Christian Schools in the United States. Founded in 1880 by recent Dutch immigrant members of the Christian Reformed Church, the school first met in a small wood-framed building on Jackson Street in Grand Haven. Instruction started in the fall of that year with 85 students to teach the Christian Faith, the Dutch Language, reading, writing, and arithmetic. As the City of Grand Haven grew, Grand Haven Christian School expanded, out-growing or moving from six different buildings before settling at its current location in 1953 and expanding with a junior high wing in 1957. Since that time, the school building has undergone major renovation in 1992 and expanded again in 2000. Although still influenced by the descendants of these Dutch founders, GHCS now represents the aspirations of Christian parents throughout the Tri-Cities. Current families come from over 35 different congregations representing 9 denominations.
Grand Haven Christian School is a private, non-profit, parent-controlled school where a membership of parents and Christian education supporters (the GHCS Society) are responsible for the control of the education of their children. It is not controlled by any church or other organization and operates under its own Constitution and By-laws. The society elects a nine-member board who is responsible for setting direction and policy and to oversee the operation of the school. The board is responsible for hiring qualified staff including the head administrator who is under the direct jurisdiction of the board and is charged with carrying out the mission and policies of the school. The school board carries out its duties through a structure of committees composed of school board members, school staff, and members of the society. Current committees are Education, Finance, Building and Grounds, GRACE Board (charged with raising annual operating funds outside of tuition), and Promotions.